Running backs are always getting the lime light and the credit for big plays. Remember this, running backs cannot gain any big yardage without great blocking from their offensive line. Coaches need to develop passion within their youth football offensive linemenwhen practicing run blocking. The game of youth football is won at the line of scrimmage. The success of any offense depends entirely on the offense’s ability to block the opposing defense.
- Fire out of stance on the snap count.
- Get a good launch with the hands- jolting the defender.
- First step is with the linemen’s lead foot. The defense does not know the snap count: the first step is crucial for getting leverage on a defender.
- Feet need to be wide.
- Head across the defender’s body.
- Thrust into defender’s sternum with hands inside.
- Wide base, it is all about feet and arm follow through.
- Keep feet moving –drive through the defender.
Check out YouthFootballOnline All-Star Isreal “Izzy” Araiza as he goes through a youth football offensive line drill.